There is a growing body of evidence supporting the benefits of S-equol for reducing menopausal symptoms. Listed below are links to some of the latest studies on this natural alternative to menopause treatment.
Pharmacokinetics and Metabolism
- Gut bacterial metabolism of the soy isoflavone daidzen: Exploring the relevance to human health.
Atkinson C, et al. Exp Biol Med 2005; 230:155-170.
- Demographic, anthropometric, and lifestyle factors and dietary intakes in relation to daidzein metabolizing phenotypes among premenopausal women in the United States.
Atkinson C, et al. Am J Clin Nutr 2008; 87:679-687.
- Equol: History, chemistry and formation.
Setchell KR and Clerici C. J Nutr 2010; 140:1355S-1362S.
- Equol: Pharmacokinteics and biological actions.
Setchell KR and Clerici C. J Nutr 2010; 140:1363S-1368S.
- The pharmacokinetics of S-(-)equol administered as SE5-OH tablets to healthy postmenopausal women.
Setchell KR, et al. Nov 2009; 139 (11): 2037-43.
- Method of defining equol-producer status and its frequency among vegetarians.
Setchell KR and Cole S. J Nutr 2006; 136:2188-93.
- The clinical importance of the metabolite equol — a clue to the effectiveness of soy and its isoflavones.
Setchell KR, et al. J Nutr 2002; 132-3577-84.
- Pharmacokinetics of an equol supplement in humans.
Watanabe S, et al. Anti Aging Med 2007; 4:57-62.
- Equol improves menopausal symptoms in Japanese women.
Aso T. J Nutr 2010; 140:1386S-1384S.
- The physiological effects of Natural S-equol tablets on menopausal symptoms of Japanese post-menopausal women.
Aso T, et al. NAMS 20th Annual Meeting, Sept. 2009, San Diego, CA; Abstract S-12, 33.
- New equol supplement for relieving menopausal symptoms: Randomized, placebo-controlled trial of Japanese women.
Ishiwata, N., et al. Menopause 2009; 16:141-148.
- Menopausal hot flashes: A review of physiology and biosociocultural perspective on methods of assessment.
Kronenberg, F. J Nutr 2010; 140:1380S-1385S.
- A pilot study on the effects of S-equol compared to soy isoflavones on menopausal hot flash frequency and other menopausal symptoms.
Jenks, B. et al. J of Women's Health 2012; 21(6):674-82
- Equol status and relevance to women's health and menopause.
Jenks BH, et al. American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) Poster, 2009.
- The cross-sectional study of the relationship between soy isoflavones, equol and the menopausal symptoms in Japanese women.
Uchiyama, S., et al. J Jpn Menopause Soc 2007; 15:28-37.
- Dietary equol and bone metabolism in postmenopausal symptoms of Japanese women and osteoporotic mice.
Ishimi Y. J Nutr 2010; 140:1373S-1376S.
- Equol, via dietary sources or intestinal production may ameliorate estrogen deficiency induced bone loss.
Weaver C and Legette L. J Nutr 2010; 140:1377S-1379S.
Other Health Benefits
- Emerging research on equol and cancer.
Lampe JW. J Nutr 2010; 140:1369S-1372S.
- Cautions and research needs identified at the Equol, Soy, and Menopause Leadership Conference.
Barnes S and Kim H. J Nutr 2010; 140:1390S-1394S.
- The effects of natural s-equol supplementation on skin aging in post menopausal women.
Oyama A et al. Menopause 2012; 19(2): 202-10.